Contrary to the popular saying, “You can’t change other people, you can only change yourself,” today’s guests explain otherwise. Authors of You Can Change Other People, Peter Bregman and Howie Jacobson join the podcast today to share their insight and how true leadership is in fact changing others for the better.
Peter Bregman is a globally recognized executive coach, the author of several books, a highly sought after keynote speaker, and the founder of Bregman Partners. Howie Jacobson, also an executive coach working with both startups and Fortune 500 companies, and Peter collaborated to bring us this wonderful read that I highly recommend.
In today’s episode, Peter and Howie share their tips and strategies from a professional and personal perspective. What they have found is that these business and leadership methods of communicating and helping others are just as applicable to our personal lives as they both demonstrate through insightful anecdotes.
What We Talked About in This Episode:
- The Misconception of Not Being Able to Change Other People
- Professional Methodology in Your Personal Life
- Leadership is Changing People to Be Great
- A Leader’s Role as Aligning People and Leverage Strengths
- The Four Steps in Changing Other People
- Shifting From Critic to Ally: The Do’s and Don’ts
- The Importance of Authenticity
- Complaining is Not an Invitation to Give Advice
- Becoming Your Own Best Ally
- Taking Ownership of Decisions and Helping Others Do the Same
- The Distinction Between Motivation and Follow Through
- Plan for Pivotal Moments
- How to Build Emotional Courage
- Always Ask About the Outcome
- Intentionally Following a Process to Avoid Ineffective Habits
- Peter and Howie’s Book Recommendations and Daily Rituals
About Our Guest:
Peter Bregman is the founder and CEO of Bregman Partners, an executive coaching company focusing on achieving success through people. Bregman Partners work in partnership with their clients to effectively execute their strategies or change initiatives all through strengthening their people. Peter is the author of several books including You Can Change Other People, Leading with Emotional Courage, and 18 Minutes: Find Your Focus, Master Distraction, and Get the Right Things Done. He is also the host of the Bregman Leadership Podcast.
Howie Jacobson is an executive coach to clients ranging from startup founders to established and rising Fortune 100 leaders. He’s also the director of coaching at Bregman Partners. Howie has coached and trained executives and managers across diverse organizations and industries and is the coauthor of You Can Change Other People. In addition to his business background, Howie is also a health educator and host of the Plant Yourself Podcast.
Connect with Peter Bregman and Howie Jacobson:
Links and Resources:
- Bregman Partners Website
- Peter Bregman on LinkedIn
- Howie Jacobson on LinkedIn
- You Can Change Other People by Peter Bregman and Howie Jacobson
Connect with John Murphy:
If you liked this episode, please don’t forget to subscribe, tune in, and share this podcast. Thanks for tuning in!
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
A Life and A Living Podcast