As we wait for the upcoming publication of his book, Don Khouri joins us on A Life and a Living Podcast to discuss “when to say yes.” Don has had a very successful and long career in the corporate world working for Fidelity Investments. While there, he gained experience in leadership roles specifically leading large software teams globally. After 21 years with the company, Don changed courses and now spends his time making the rest of us as effective and efficient through his own coaching and upcoming book When to Say Yes: The Five Steps to Protect Your Time.
Today’s interview is primarily about his new book and I am excited to share that Don goes through each of the five steps that he writes about in his book. So listen to today’s episode for a sneak peek into what is awaiting for you in September 2021. In addition, Don also dives into his practical tips and tricks for prioritizing, taking control of endless virtual meetings, and overall personal productivity. His background and experience in the corporate world make this interview very realistic and down to Earth, as Don truly knows what it is like to be in your shoes.
What We Talked About in This Episode:
- Don’s Background and Experience Working in Leadership at Fidelity
- Don’s Passion for Personal Productivity
- Upcoming Book When to Say Yes: The Five Steps to Protect Your Time
- How do We Decide What Goes on Our List?
- Knowing When to Say Yes Leads to Knowing When to Say No
- The Challenge in Saying No as a Leader or Executive
- Keeping Up With a Priority List and Determining What to Squeeze In
- The Steps to Protect Your Time
- Prioritize and Reprioritize
- Priority as the Driver for Your Energy Level, Location, and Time
- The Importance of Mastering Delegation
- Embrace Time Blocking
- The Fallacy of Inspiration: Discipline and Daily Practice Lead to Creativity
- Making Meetings Effective
- The Obvious and Simple Tool of Effective Leaders
- Don’s Book Recommendations and Daily Rituals
About Our Guest:
Don is a coach and consultant with a proven track record of coaching senior leaders and high potential employees to improve their executive presence, to strengthen their communication and relationship skills, and to motivate and inspire teams. He is a strong relationship builder with the ability to successfully manage client engagements and to drive additional revenues. Known for expertise with personal productivity, organizational design, and building and leading high-performing culturally-diverse teams, Don has a PhD in Human and Organizational Systems and Certificate in Executive Coaching. He was previously in a leadership role with Fidelity Investments and worked with the company for 21 years primarily in global software teams.
Connect with Don Khouri:
Links and Resources:
- When to Say Yes: The Five Steps to Protect Your Time by Don Khouri
- Khouri Coaching and Consulting Home Page
- Don Khouri on LinkedIn
Connect with John Murphy:
If you liked this episode, please don’t forget to subscribe, tune in, and share this podcast. Thanks for tuning in!
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
A Life and A Living Podcast