Having experienced severe burnout herself, today’s guest explains, “We need to be smarter about how we approach life and work in general and know when enough is enough. The new normal is to keep going no matter what.” What can be done to avoid burnout, disconnection, and loneliness especially in the workplace? Dr. Jenny Brockis joins us to discuss the fascinating science behind happiness and cultivating a good life.
Dr. Brockis is a board certified physician who has previously had a successful practice. She realized she needed a pivot and she took the brave step to change careers to not only bring happiness to herself but to others as well. She works with clients and companies to help them cultivate a good life and is the author of the book Thriving Mind: How to Cultivate a Good Life. In today’s episode we discuss the risk of loneliness, nature and nurture, the importance of meditation and play, and how you can adopt a thriving mindset.
What We Talked About in This Episode:
- What Sets Jenny’s Book Apart in the Topic of Leading a Happy Fulfilling Life
- The Ideas in Thriving Mind Pre and Post Covid-19
- Dr. Brockis’s Career as a General Practitioner and the Cause of her Burnout
- Lack of Self-Awareness and Tuning in to What Really Matters to You
- The Bravery in Pivoting to Address Mental Health
- Loneliness Through Disconnection and Social Isolation
- The Necessity in Normalizing the Discussion of Feelings
- Covid-19’s Domino Effect
- Nature and Nurture: The Breakdown of What We’re in Control of
- Happiness Can Be a Choice
- The Neuroscience Behind Meditation, Happiness, and Play
- Mindfulness as a Way to Increase Focus and Executive Function
- The Effect of Physical Movement While Working and Thinking
- Thriver’s Mindset: Grateful Survivors Looking to Help Others
- Making the Conscious Decision to Include Play in Your Day
- Jenny’s Main Suggestion in How to Cultivate a Good Life
- Jenny’s Book Recommendation and Daily Rituals
About Our Guest:
Dr. Jenny Brockis is a board-certified lifestyle medicine physician and best-selling author from Perth, Australia. She is passionate about people, performance, and practical solutions that improve our cognitive health and wellbeing. Having experienced severe burnout first-hand, Jenny pivoted to change careers to help others experiencing the same and through her book Thriving Mind: How to Cultivate a Good Life, she demonstrates the importance of mental health and science that backs it up.
To reach Dr. Brockis, go to her website: https://www.stefanverra.com/en/
Connect with Dr. Jenny Brockis:
- Dr. Jenny Brockis Home Page
- Thriving Mind: How to Cultivate a Good Life by Jenny Brockis
- Dr. Jenny Brockis on Twitter
- Dr. Jenny Brockis on LinkedIn
- Dr. Jenny Brockis on Instagram
Connect with John Murphy:
If you liked this episode, please don’t forget to subscribe, tune in, and share this podcast. Thanks for tuning in!
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
A Life and A Living Podcast