Podcast: Play in new window | Download
Here to discuss her highly recommended book The Good Fight, Liane Davey shares her expertise in the area of conflict and conflict resolution. Liane is a very successful author, keynote speaker, and business consultant and an expert in the space of building high performance teams. Creating a winning team is what this podcast is all about and I am delighted to have this conversation with Liane.
In today’s episode, we discuss the things that hold teams back from growth and the concept of conflict debt. Why is talking about conflict so uncomfortable? Why are we so slow to have conflict? Liane shares the psychology behind this and also discloses how healthy conflict can benefit leaders and all team members. As leaders, how we deal with conflict can make or break the organization, so listen to find ways to improve your skills in this area and find ways to keep your business moving forward.
What We Talked About in This Episode:
- Liane’s Background and John’s Praise for Her Work
- Experience Working Alongside Her Husband
- Why We Avoid Conflict
- Organizations Don’t Tend to Know How to Deal with Conflict
- How to Have Healthy Conflict
- The Ways Conflict Can Be Healthy For Organizations
- Exercises Liane Uses as a Consultant
- The Good Fight Starts Long Before the Conversation
- Digging Into More Conflict Through Lack of Communication
- Expedience is Rewarded Rather Than Effective Strategies
- The Distinction Between Workload and Thought Load
- How Leaders Are Failing Out of Fear
- The Effect of Selfishness Among Leaders
- The Topic of Neurodiversity
- Creating Understanding Environments
- Teams Tuning Into Each Other’s Emotional State
- Liane’s Book Recommendation and Daily Rituals
About Our Guest:
For the past 25 years, Liane has researched and advised teams on how to achieve high performance. Known as the “teamwork doctor,” she’s worked with teams from the frontlines to the boardroom, across a variety of industries, and around the globe from Boston to Bangkok. In working with hundreds of teams, including 26 Global Fortune 500 companies (and counting), she has developed a unique perspective on the challenges that teams face – and how to solve them. Beyond her work in the boardroom, Liane is a New York Times Bestselling author of You First: Inspire Your Team to Grow Up, Get Along, and Get Stuff Done and The Good Fight: Use Productive Conflict to Get Your Team and Organization Back on Track. She is also a regular contributor to Harvard Business Review and has been sought by several media outlets, including CNN, NPR, USA Today, The Globe & Mail and Forbes, for her expertise on increasing productivity, enhancing engagement, and developing leaders.
Connect with Liane Davey
- Liane Davey’s Website
- The Good Fight: Use Productive Conflict to Get Your Team and Organization
- Back on Track by Liane Davey
Connect with John Murphy:
If you liked this episode, please don’t forget to subscribe, tune in, and share this podcast. Thanks for tuning in!
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
Winning Teams Podcast