Podcast: Play in new window | Download
With the rollercoaster of movements across the globe in recent years, today’s guest brings more support to the table with his recent book Showing Up. It is a timely book and a timely episode as Ray Arata helps men become advocates and allies for women in the workplace.
Ray Arata is an author of several books and the founder of the Better Man Conference, a program designed to guide the development of more inclusive, supportive leaders, managers, and colleagues to show up as advocates and allies who use their power and privilege to transform corporate culture. Better Man Leadership takes the fears and misconceptions surrounding Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion, involvement, and leverages them into creating sustainable change.
In this episode, Ray shares how he came to this realization and how he came forward to help others become allies. He calls out for courage in speaking up and makes it clear that the impact of not honoring women is damaging. The approach is through close self-examination and his book is highly recommended.
What We Talked About in This Episode:
- How Ray Came Into Doing This Work
- The Eye Opening Experience That Changed Ray’s Life
- The Impact of Jobs Lost in 2020 and the Staggering Divide Between Those of Women and Those of Men
- Making the Conscious Effort to Be Better
- Why Men Are Reluctant to Become Allies
- When Men Use Power to Control
- Confronting Fear and Myth
- Humanizing Privilege Instead of Demonizing It
- How Do You Want to Be Experienced By Other People?
- Coaching Men to Challenge Behaviors and Fear
- Crawl, Walk, Run
- The Impact on the Retention of Talent
- Ray’s Optimism Regarding Men as Allies
- Ray’s Book Recommendation and Daily Rituals
About Our Guest:
Ray Arata is the author of two books, Wake Up Man Up, Step Up: Transforming Your Wake Up Call to Emotional Health and Happiness, and Showing Up: How Men Can Become Effective Allies in the Workplace. As an expert in leadership, inclusion, allyship, and emotional literacy, professionals connect with Ray because he leads from his heart and practices what he teaches in his own businesses and personal life. He brings an extensive business background and more than 15,000 hours in leading men to develop emotional literacy. Through his keynote presentations, workshops, executive coaching and management training, he applies the same heart-based principles that have helped him to lead a thriving business and fulfilling personal life.
Connect with Ray Arata:
Links and Resources:
- Ray Arata Website
- Showing Up: How Men Can Become Effective Allies in the Workplace by Ray
- The Better Man Conference
Connect with John Murphy:
If you liked this episode, please don’t forget to subscribe, tune in, and share this podcast. Thanks for tuning in!
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
A Life and A Living Podcast