Podcast: Play in new window | Download
When the Covid-19 pandemic began, businesses across the world were faced with so many tough challenges. There was no playbook, no formula, and no guidelines in place for change of this magnitude. How did some businesses continue to succeed during these challenging times? On today’s episode of A Life and a Living, we are “leading through Covid” with Paul Candon.
Paul is the CEO of United Hardware, a very large business based in Ireland. United Hardware is the largest hardware buying group in Ireland as a supplier of over 150 independent contractors. Paul brings a very interesting perspective to the Covid-19 conversation as he not only maintains relationships with teams of employees, but also 150 relationships with smaller businesses and contractors. In today’s episode, Paul offers up his experience with how the business thrived and how United Hardware was able to successfully maintain relationships and support clients. His insight on trust, resilience, and his thoughts on the future of business after Covid’s end are fascinating and thought-provoking.
What We Talked About in This Episode:
- Paul’s Background and Beginnings with United Hardware
- The Unique Business Model of United Hardware
- Quick Decisions During Different Phases of Uncertainty
- Doing the Right Thing Above All Else
- United Hardware’s Increase in Productivity During Covid
- The Complications of Practical United Hardware Duties With Covid Protocol
- Focusing on the Essentials First
- United Hardware’s Increase in Sales in Gardening and Home Improvement
- The Amazing Resilience People Have Had
- Conversations and New Connections
- Technology Stepping In and Creating Opportunities
- Appreciation and Support for Essential and Frontline Workers
- Paul’s Ideas and Concerns for the End of Covid
- What Paul Would Have Changed
- Learning From the Experience to be Prepared for Anything
About Our Guest:
Paul Candon is the CEO of United Hardware, the largest hardware buying group in Ireland. Paul was appointed CEO in May of 2020 in the midst of the Covid-19 pandemic. He was previously in the role of Non-Executive Chairman of United Hardware and has also served as the Ireland CEO of Bunzl, the leading global supplier of non-food consumable products to the foodservice sector. Paul is an engaging and impactful leader with a history of building and sustaining successful organizations with a track record of strategy development and execution.
To reach Paul, go to his website: https://unitedhardware.ie/
Connect with Paul Candon:
Connect with John Murphy:
If you liked this episode, please don’t forget to subscribe, tune in, and share this podcast. Thanks for tuning in!
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
A Life and A Living Podcast