While thinking about hiring people to the team, we need to consider their potential in becoming a leader. It may not be for everyone and it’s not necessary for everyone to fill a leadership role, but we have to consider the qualities that give someone an advantage when it comes to leadership. What are those qualities?
Today’s guest is the CEO and President of Janson Associates, Dr. Kim Janson. She is also the author of the book Determining Leadership Potential which is both a broad and deep look at how and what to look for in potential leaders. In addition to her experience with Janson Associates, Dr. Janson also has experience as the Chief Talent Officer for Heinz and has done similar work with Bank of America.
In our conversation today, we of course dig into the topic of leadership but more specifically, what we should look for when hiring future leaders. What are the must-haves and what are things that can be taught?
What We Talked About in This Episode:
- The evolution of leadership and viewing it as a science
- Learning how to maximize your people
- Dr. Janson’s research findings
- Indicators of potential leaders
- Research shows that personalities don’t change
- Learning agility and motivation
- Areas where you can compensate
- The challenge for introverts in leadership
- The causes of the leadership crisis
- The skills that can be taught versus the things that cannot
- Emotional Intelligence
- The books that Dr. Janson has written
- Key ingredients that make up a high performing leader
- Has leadership changed with remote work?
- Values and culture
- Good judgment and how it’s formed
- Dr. Janson’s book recommendation and daily rituals
About Our Guest:
Dr. Kim Janson is the President and CEO of Janson Associates, a firm dedicated to “unleashing people’s potential globally.” Kim has been on the ground working with leadership teams in over 40 countries for more than 25 years. She has hosted and successfully conducted leadership programs in Singapore, China, Malaysia, Russia, New Zealand, England, France, Canada, Holland, Italy, Mexico, Chile, Spain, Dubai, Australia and the United States.
Janson Associates works with firms from start-up level to Fortune 100 companies in all industries. Kim is considered a premier executive coach, is a member of the Forbes Coaching Council and serves as an executive coach and instructor at the Harvard Business School. Kim is the author of Demystifying Talent Management.
Connect with Dr. Kim Janson:
Connect with John Murphy:
If you liked this episode, please don’t forget to subscribe, tune in, and share this podcast. Thanks for tuning in!
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
Winning Teams Podcast