This has been really bothering me of late! The last 6 months I have been really challenged to get so many different things done. Now, don’t get me wrong – I am not complaining!
So many projects that are really interesting have come across my radar and it has been fascinating. Great stuff and really motivating!
So, why am I bothered?
Well, as you know, I am passionate about doing the right things and doing things right and the question that has been nagging at me is:
Am I doing the right things?
Yes, I am living up to my own mantra about organizing my week around my key projects, and then getting into really good daily planning. So, I decided to step back from it for a couple of hours last week and challenge myself with the question:
If I was starting my business today, would I do all the things I am doing right now? I went on to ask myself a series of questions that included:
- Would I offer the same service that I am offering now?
- Would I deliver it differently?
- How would I promote it?
- Would I engage with all the social media I currently engage with – are there ones I would drop or replace?
- Would I target the same clients – executives and senior management teams?
- Would I continue to work with all the clients I am working with?
- What would my sales process be?
- Would I price my service differently?
- What would my ideal working day include?
- How much time would I plan to take off?
- Having analyzed all the tasks I do on a weekly/daily basis, which ones will I stop doing?
Guys, this is still work in progress for me but I can tell you one thing:
This challenges everything I am doing. I can tell you that I have already made changes – and am far from finished. But to give you a taste:
- I have limited my social media activity to Facebook, LinkedIn and Twitter.
- I now only comment on and follow maximum 4 blogs – it used to be more than double that!
- I have made some alterations to how I deliver my service which is really giving a better experience to my clients.
- Every task I undertake, I challenge myself with these 2 questions – 1) is this going to help me deliver better service to my clients, or 2) is this driving my business forward? You would be amazed how much stuff you eliminate with these 2 questions.
So, ask yourself these questions – am I doing the right things? If I was starting my business today what would I continue doing and what would I cease doing?
Let me know what your answers are by commenting below. Also, enter your email address in the box below and you will get all the tips and strategies I share with my community.