The most essential part of any organization is the people who get the job done and the business progressing—the employees. If you are managing or leading a team, you need to have a solid understanding of the vision and purpose of your organization. In addition to that, understanding the culture of the organization is vital in engaging employees once you hire them.
To dive deeper into that, joining us in today’s episode is our guest, Rich Allen. Rich is the founder of Tour de Profit, an organization that focuses on igniting teams, engaging employees, and helping clients hire the right people.
Check out this podcast episode’s highlights, and remember to tune in to the show for the specifics of workplace culture and employee engagement. Sit back and keep your ears peeled for all the valuable nuggets we have for you.
Starting and Running a Business (2:56)
- Making the big jump—quitting your corporate job.
- Rich talks about his experience of working for his father’s business at a young age.
- Managers who don’t know how to motivate and inspire don’t get their teams to do the work they need to do.
Steering the Business: The Importance of Communication in Engaging Employees (08:41)
- Rich used a bike as a metaphor for businesses: “If we can understand our businesses like a bike, we can tune up our business and make it go fast.”
- Business leaders often fail in communicating with team members. When talking to employees, they tend to speak in a language that only they understand.
- Know the importance of using a language with which your members are comfortable.
- Business owners must be able to put their hands and steer the handlebars of the business. Be clear about your vision.
Corporate Vision Statements (15:05)
- Impressively designed corporate vision statements don’t necessarily mean that it’s going to be motivating.
- The importance of competition in firing up employee motivation
- Flipping the pyramid upside down: When you do a little bit more with what you intend to do and where you want the business to go, more people would realize that you’re in it as a leader for their benefit.
- Managing the people and functions over politics drives organizations’ vision and mission.
The Role of Culture in Transforming Teams and Businesses (19:29)
- Culture defines how the business operates from front to back.
- Be absolute about your workplace culture.
- What are the five or six things that you won’t tolerate in the business?
- Listening to the conversations that take place and how people speak to each other will tell you everything you need to know about an organization’s culture.
Business Hiring Process (21:53)
- A reasonably elaborate hiring process starts with the culture and behaviours you want to see in your business.
- Do not use skills as a limiting factor early in the hiring process.
- “We either win or lose the game by who we let on the team.”
- Make it so that somebody has to earn the right to get on the team. They’ll want to stay and be proud that they made it in the company.
Engaging Your People in the Business (27:34)
- Include your employees in the hiring process by letting them select their peers.
- When the employees are invested in the people that they’re bringing in, they’re going to help them be successful instead of feeling like they’re a threat.
- Shift managers way of thinking to develop and grow the people that are coming into the business.
Book Recommendation and Rituals (33:55)
- Rich recommends the book The Road Less Stupid by Keith Cunningham. It talks about the common mistakes business leaders make and how to avoid the road toward that.
- “I get up and have some prayer time. I have a book that I read every morning for about half an hour. And then I spend about 30 minutes journaling. Then I have two or three inspirational podcasts that I listen to so that I can start the day well, and it’s only then that I get up and start my day.”
You can connect more with Rich and find free resources on his website. You can also join his Facebook group, The Peloton, if you want to be a part of a community of business leaders and owners solving business challenges faster.
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
The Winning Teams Podcast is powered by the winning team at Valher Media.
Are you ready to be a great leader?
10 Key Traits of Top Business Leaders
These 10 Key Traits of Top Business Leaders can set you on your journey to lasting success!
Click HERE to download.