Remote working has been introduced to keep up with the changing needs and trends of the work force, and it has been more popular than ever. Remote operation allows employees to work outside of traditional office premises. It also enables people to get work done at their own pace and still execute it successfully.
In today’s podcast episode, we are joined by our guest Liam Martin. He is the co-founder and chief marketing officer of time tracking tools Time Doctor and staff.com, which helps companies manage remote employees. For 10 years, almost over a million remote workers have used Liam’s tools for their jobs. Liam is also the co-organizer of Running Remote, the largest remote work conference held in Silicon Valley every year.
Check out this episode’s highlights, and don’t forget to tune in to the show for the specifics of remote working culture and management.
Breaking Down the Reluctance in Having Remote Workers (2:00)
- Companies have to be able to change their management style for remote workers.
- The importance of having effective technology in place to make sure that everyone is staying accountable.
- Looking at the economics of remote work, on average, it’s about 40% more efficient than the on-premise work environment.
The Advantages of Having a Remote Worker (02:59)
- Remote work deletes the problem of inter-office politics and colleague issues.
- Companies can save money and hassle from frequently having to replace employees as remote worker employees tend to stay longer in the company.
- Employees are continually moving around in search of something bigger. In tech companies, it is essential to keep employees engaged in work. This scheme is where remote working comes in.
- Employers don’t have to be bound to a geographical limit in hiring the best person for the job.
High Productivity in Remote Working (06:58)
- Allowing workers to work from home or a co-working space reduces the amount of time they spend commuting on the road.
- Remote working has a flexible schedule, unlike the traditional nine to five.
- Being able to optimize employee time at work allows them to get massive gains and overall productivity.
- Work wherever you want, whenever you want. Having the freedom to do your work massively boosts productivity.
- The tech industry is the pioneer in remote working because working from a computer is where you would need to put the majority of your time for a remote worker.
- Incentives companies give employees do not boost productivity. Employees would trade all free lunches you provide them for remote work opportunities.
Remote Working Management (14:05)
- It is essential to have measuring tools to track and manage remote workers’ work activity.
- Digitizing documentation allows everyone inside of your organization to communicate processes quickly and easily.
- The importance of creating a work culture and creating shared values for team effectiveness
Hiring a Remote Worker (22:04)
- Doing a thorough interview is vital to see if the applicant is culturally-aligned to the company.
- The onboarding process
- Being culturally aligned to the business is the most important criteria for hiring remote workers.
- The internationalization framework
Book Recommendation and Daily Rituals (26:53)
- Zero to One by Peter Thiel
- “I basically wear the same thing every single day. It allows me to reduce decision-making.” He also eats the same thing for breakfast every day.
- He learned the idea from Barack Obama, who said that any decision, regardless of its importance, requires the same amount of energy. Decreasing the number of smaller choices you make will help you focus on more significant and more critical decisions.
Check out Running Remote to get updates on the upcoming 2020 remote work conference in Austin, Texas.
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
The Winning Teams Podcast is powered by the winning team at Valher Media.
Are you ready to be a great leader?
10 Key Traits of Top Business Leaders
These 10 Key Traits of Top Business Leaders can set you on your journey to lasting success!
Click HERE to download.