Joining the podcast today is Sophie Wade, an expert on the future of work. We dive into the topic in great detail and the most impactful message she provides is the importance of empathy in the workplace. Her most recent book Empathy Works: The Key to Competitive Advantage in the New Era of Work is a fascinating and highly recommended read for leaders in any type or organization.
As we continue to feel the impact of “The Great Resignation,” organizations are faced with the opportunity to change their rules and their models. In this interview, Sophie and I also discuss the reasons we are experiencing this era of resignation, how to embrace multiple careers in a lifetime, and how to navigate multi-generational teams. Most importantly, Sophie also tells us how we can make these necessary shifts happen.
What We Talked About in This Episode:
- Sophie’s Background and Experience as an Author
- The Growing Interest in Work Flexibility
- Connecting with Multiple Generations in the Workplace Through Empathy
- Considering the “How” of Work
- Empathy Creates a Safe Work Environment
- Having a Consistent Culture Throughout the Organization
- Articulating Culture
- The Connection Between Trust, Empathy, and Employee Engagement
- The Opportunity to Redesign Work Due to The Great Resignation
- Sophie’s View of the Future of Work
- Gen Z’s Contribution to Workplace Changes
- The Minefield of Multiple Careers in a Lifetime
- The Need for an Upgrade in Education
- The Concept of Retirement and Non-Retirement
- Moving On From the Idea of Suffering at Work
- Sophie’s Book Recommendation and Daily Ritual
About Our Guest:
Sophie Wade is an acclaimed work futurist, speaker, and author. A Workforce Innovation Specialist with Future-of-Work consultancy Flexcel Network, Sophie’s advisory work and transformative workshops enable executives and managers to adapt for evolving business conditions, and attract, engage, and retain their multigenerational distributed workforce. A graduate of Oxford University (BA) and INSEAD (MBA), she is the author of the Executive MBA textbook Embracing Progress: Next Steps for the Future of Work, and a popular LinkedIn Instructor on Empathy and Gen Z. Sophie lives in New York City.
Connect with Sophie Wade:
Links and Resources:
Empathy Works: The Key to Competitive Advantage in the New Era of Work by Sophie Wade
Connect with John Murphy:
If you liked this episode, please don’t forget to subscribe, tune in, and share this podcast. Thanks for tuning in!
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
Winning Teams Podcast