Podcast: Play in new window | Download
With over 30 years experience in both government and business, today’s guest has helped a myriad of clients navigate the murky waters of federal sales. Gene Moran is a fascinating individual having served in the US Navy in a commanding role of very large ships. While in the Navy, Gene became involved in administration, the political scene, and learned how the whole world of companies selling to government bodies worked. This eventually led to him leaving the Navy and becoming a lobbyist. This transition is an interesting one and his background offers a very unique perspective as he then shifted into setting up his own business helping organizations sell to the government.
Gene is also the author of the book Pitching the Big Top: How to Master the 3-Ring Circus of Federal Sales which we discuss in today’s episode. Gene explains the process of understanding, starting, connecting, making and strengthening your case, and the step by step how-to of becoming a vendor to the federal government. What are the 3 rings to this and why does it feel so much like jumping through hoops? Gene’s background plays a heavy role in his solid understanding of this process and in the end you’ll find that it all comes down to the relationship management that we come back to time and time again.
What We Talked About in This Episode:
- Gene’s Background in the US Navy and in Legislation
- What Surprised and Stood Out to Gene in Congress
- Gene’s Shift to Being a Lobbyist
- How Lobbyists Are Like Salespeople
- The Process of Becoming a Vendor for the Government
- Gene’s Experience and Unique Perspective
- Knowing Your Customer Well
- The Three Rings: Congress, Industry, and Agency
- Taking a Holistic Approach to This Complex Process
- Finding Allies to Avoid Working Alone
- Understanding Why Something is Important
- Getting the Timing Right
- The Changes in Intelligence and Defense
- Credibility, Integrity, and Ability to Communicate
- Gene’s Book Recommendation
About Our Guest:
With over 30 years experience in both government and business, Gene Moran has helped many clients navigate federal sales. As the Founder and President of Capitol Integration and an active duty Navy Captain, Gene has established himself as an expert that consistently brings agility, creativity and results to companies of all sizes: small startup firms, prime and subprime contractors, and large multi-billion dollar public enterprises. He is a proven Navy Financial Manager, designated Joint Specialty Officer, and a certified lobbyist. Gene shares his wealth of combined knowledge in his first book, Pitching the Big Top: How to Master the 3-Ring Circus of Federal Sales.
To reach Gene, go to his website: https://capitolintegration.com/about/
Connect with Gene Moran:
- Capital Integration
- Gene Moran on LinkedIn
- Pitching the Big Top: How to Master the 3-Ring Circus of Federal Sales by Gene MoranLinkedIn
Connect with John Murphy:
If you liked this episode, please don’t forget to subscribe, tune in, and share this podcast. Thanks for tuning in!
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
A Life and A Living Podcast