Outsourcing is a business strategy where companies use external services, such as virtual assistants, to perform tasks needed in their projects. This leverage benefits companies and employees alike by having a flexible work environment, which contributes to an improved quality of work as well as its financial benefits.
In today’s episode, Linh Podetti joins us to talk about how outsourcing can be made simple. Linh is a social entrepreneur and outsourcing specialist. She is the CEO and founder of the internationally recognized outsourcing business, Outsourcing Angel, which helps business owners connect with talented virtual assistants (VA).
Check these podcast highlights, and don’t forget to tune in to the episode to know more about the business outsourcing process.
Getting Into Outsourcing (03:23)
- She initially went to the typical path of getting a corporate job after university.
- The frustration of an inflexible 9 to 5 job became her motivation to come up with a business idea.
- She started to learn how to create a marketing plan, a business, and a website with limited money.
- While running her business, she came across people to whom she can outsource SEO work or content writing because she wasn’t passionate about the company.
- Her opportunity arrived when she started doing project managing and marketing for a client. But along the way, she realized that it would be easier to remove herself from that model.
- After getting caught up in the first business that made her money, in 2015, Linh founded Outsourcing Angel.
Why Should You Outsource? (08:26)
- They help business owners build a reliable virtual team.
- Outsourcing is not just trying to get one task done. It’s about building a team you can rely on that will grow with you.
- A lot of people start with hiring freelancers on a project basis where there is no real benefit.
- When someone works with you for years, they will know you inside out, and they’re going to follow your mission and be there whenever you need them.
- If you want to grow, you’re going to need people. You have to take that leap.
The Basics of Outsourcing (12:43)
- You have to put discipline and relay what you want.
- Outsourcing is more affordable.
- Because you’re working online, you have to use tools such as screencast tools and video calls to train your team.
- It’s essential to have a dedicated person with you rather than just outsourcing a task.
Why Should You Choose Outsourcing Angel? (14:06)
- They have an HR department managing their people’s issues effectively.
- Outsourcing Angel serves small business owners to help them create a culture or work environment that can be fun for VAs and keep them motivated.
- They protect the business and the quality of work they give you.
The Biggest Challenge In Outsourcing People (16:29)
- The process of picking the right person is time-consuming.
- You post a job, go through filtering and interviewing, and then test them out.
- Some people don’t love recruitment and managing people.
Getting People to Buy Into the Values in Business Outsourcing Model (19:27)
- Their mission is to create home-based jobs.
- They conduct meetings through Zoom calls and share the successes and plans for the next month. It is where Linh welcomes members and her way of showing her personality to her team.
- They have a company trip every year where they do activities and catch up with each other in person.
- Never look for someone that has a great talent but is dishonest or has a blow in personality.
- Recruit the right people who have the same value and who also want to join a mission to help their community.
- They have a volunteer group in the Philippines that donates money and helps in charities.
Building an Effective Team (24:09)
- They use Slack as an online version of an office and their channel for chatting.
- To improve the culture further, Linh created a channel called Daily Reflection. Every morning, as a rule, everyone comes in and to answer: What are the three things you’re grateful for?
- Through this, they get to know more about each other and what’s happening in each other’s lives.
Your Team or My Team (28:09)
- They help you with onboarding to get you started with the VA, but it’s your VA. They are people who work directly with you.
- They leave it to the client and the VA to enjoy the journey.
Common Mistakes of Clients When Outsourcing (29:48)
- Giving overwhelming tasks without delegating at all. Linh encourages clients to start small and break it down.
- Clients underestimate the time needed to train someone.
Book Recommendation and Daily Rituals (32:43)
- Your One Word by Evan Carmichael
- According to Linh, this book helped her and her company to find their value.
- Her daily ritual is to wake up at 4 am. At 4 am, her mind is much more creative and fresh, and she has better ideas and insights.
- That extra time allowed her to add in meditation, journaling, learning and working on her hardest task for the day first.
Connect with Linh through LinkedIn, Facebook, and Instagram. Check out more of what she does on her YouTube channel and by visiting her website. Finally, visit Outsourcing Angel’s website to see how they can help you with your business.
You can download a copy of my ebook 10 Key Traits of Top Business Leaders here.
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
The Winning Teams Podcast is powered by the winning team at Valher Media.
Are you ready to be a great leader?
10 Key Traits of Top Business Leaders
These 10 Key Traits of Top Business Leaders can set you on your journey to lasting success!
Click HERE to download.