Podcast: Play in new window | Download
In this fascinating conversation today with guest, Joseph O’Connor, will have you thinking deeply about your own brain, habits, and emotional intelligence. Joseph O’Connor is a prolific author of many books but in today’s conversation, we’re diving into his most recent publication, Coaching the Brain: Practical Applications of Neuroscience to Coaching.
In the book and this discussion, Joseph uses easy to understand analogies and connections to real life. He uses his scientific knowledge to dispel myths and help us understand how the brain works and how we can get the most out of our brains. What is the difference between the brain and the mind? How do habits impact our actions and thoughts and how can we change them to better serve us? And how can we train our brains to increase emotional intelligence to become more resilient? These questions and more will be answered by Joseph and his book is a highly recommended fantastic read.
What We Talked About in This Episode:
- The Difference Between the Brain and the Mind
- Dispelling Myths of the Sides of the Brain
- Where These Myths Come From
- The Role of Habits in Our Lives
- Changing Habits Through Positive Effort
- The Stages of Forming a Habit
- Habits of Thinking vs. Habits of Acting
- How Habits Can Become Controlling
- Replacing Thoughts That Don’t Serve You Well
- Attention as a Precious Resource
- How Depression Impacts Habits and Thoughts
- The Default Mode Network
- Strengthening Emotional Intelligence
- How the Brain Reacts to Stress
- The Brain as a Prediction Machine
- Joseph’s Book Recommendations and Daily Rituals
About Our Guest:
Joseph O’Connor is an internationally recognised author, executive coach, trainer and consultant. He has given trainings in over thirty countries. He is a leading author and trainer in coaching, NLP and systemic thinking. He is the author of nineteen books and three audiotapes on NLP, Coaching, Neuroscience, training, sales, communication skills, management and systemic thinking. His books have been translated into thirty languages and have sold over half a million copies worldwide.
Connect with Joseph O’Connor:
Links and Resources:
- Coaching the Brain Website
- Coaching the Brain: Practical Applications of Neuroscience to Coaching by Joseph O’Connor
- Lambent Coaching Website
Connect with John Murphy:
If you liked this episode, please don’t forget to subscribe, tune in, and share this podcast. Thanks for tuning in!
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
A Life and A Living Podcast