Like me, I’m sure you have been seriously troubled by the recent George Floyd and other similar incidents. I feel very strongly about this issue of racial divide, and the easy thing for me to do as a white European is to decry it but do nothing about it.
But, I passionately believe that we all have a role to play in these circumstances, and to speak out about these issues in these troublesome and worrying times. That’s why I’ve invited Jackie Ferguson once more on the show to help me tackle this sensitive issue. Jackie, who is an expert on the subject of Diversity and Inclusivity, talks to us about how important it is to be able to listen so we can understand, learn, and eventually, lead.
We all have the potential to become allies, but what does it really mean when you say that? What responsibilities do we need to take on? What actions can we take? Listen intently and learn more about navigating the changing conversation in this diverse society by tuning in to the latest episode of A Life and A Living Podcast.
What We Talked About in This Episode:
- Six Steps to becoming an Ally [5:32]
- Step #1: Listen
- Step #2: Educate yourself
- Step #3: Talk to your kids
- Step #4: Be an example
- Step #5: Speak up
- Step #6: Nurturing truth-telling relationships
- The realisations that come from reading the book “White Fragility” [8:13]
- Jackie’s stand on taking down statues [11:30]
- An update on the Black Progress: Why has there been none since 2000? [14:22]
- Where is change going to come from? [17:01]
- How do employers support their employees in navigating change through this COVID pandemic along with issues of racism [18:20]
- How can business leaders create a multi-racial culture where everyone can thrive equally? [23:43]
- Driving the message of Diversity and Inclusion home [29:51]
“Are you optimistic about change?” [33:07]
About Our Guest:
Jackie Ferguson is the Director of Multicultural Programming at Walk West in North Carolina. She managed multi-million dollar accounts while working in sales and marketing for large corporations. She is also a certified diversity expert.
Connect with Jackie through The Diversity Movement’s website.
Connect with John Murphy:
- Winning Teams Podcast Episode #153: Diversity Beyond the Checkbox with Jackie Ferguson
- White Fragility by Robin Diangelo
If you liked this episode, please don’t forget to subscribe, tune in, and share this podcast. Thanks for tuning in!
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
A Life and A Living Podcast is powered by Valher Media.