If you are looking for inspiration, look no further. Today’s guest is an extraordinary individual with a fascinating background that spends our interview describing his journey and his mission.
Today’s guest is Andy Salmon. Andy has a 36 year background in the Royal Marines and as a first for A Life and a Living Podcast as a CMG OBE. He served in many global conflicts, including The Troubles, The Falklands War, Angola, Sierra Leone, The Balkans and Iraq. He now produces, directs and narrates events for his website Journey Through Conflict. Uniquely fusing original artworks and live music, Andy shares his experiences and learning from conflict to inspire people to seek peace and reconciliation.
In this episode, Andy shares his strategies on how to lead in crisis situations, how to develop yourself and your leadership skills, and how to prepare yourself physically, emotionally, and mentally for leading through crisis. His passion for music, art, and culture has impacted him and others greatly and throughout our interview, you will feel just how powerful the arts can be.
What We Talked About in This Episode:
- Andy’s Extraordinary Background in the Royal Marines and as an OBE
- Helping Leaders and Teams Manage Through Crisis
- Getting Strategies in Order in Their Simplest Forms
- Dealing with the Fight, Flight, or Freeze Response to Anxiety
- Learning the Art of Breathing
- The Ability to Choose Your Emotional Response
- Conveying Skills to Team Members Through Doing
- Finding Peace Through Music, Art, and Culture
- Shifting Minds to Optimism
- The Impact of the Arts on Visualization
- How Andy Began Journey Through Conflict
- Andy’s Mission Behind Journey Through Conflict
- Virtual Offerings from Andy During the Covid-19 Pandemic
- Andy’s Book Recommendation and Daily Rituals
About Our Guest:
Major-General Andy Salmon CMG OBE, spent 36 years in the Royal Marines and is a former Commandant General, Head of Service. He served in many global conflicts, including The Troubles, The Falklands War, Angola, Sierra Leone, The Balkans and Iraq. Three tours of duty in Iraq spanned 19 years: from 1991 and the Kurdish humanitarian crisis, to 2003 in the Green Zone, Baghdad, and to 2008/9 when he was the last British General in Basra, closing down the UK Campaign. He retired from the services in 2013.
He now produces, directs and narrates the Journey Through Conflict events. Uniquely fusing original artworks and live music, Andy shares his experiences and learning from conflict to inspire people to seek peace and reconciliation.
To reach Andy, go to his website: https://journeythroughconflict.org/
Connect with Andy Salmon:
Connect with John Murphy:
If you liked this episode, please don’t forget to subscribe, tune in, and share this podcast. Thanks for tuning in!
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
A Life and A Living Podcast