In a world where we focus primarily on failure, how can we shift focus to success and opportunity? Mark Monchek has taken his own opportunity and developed a process for organizations to develop a culture of opportunity for individual team members and for the greater good of the whole team.
Mark is the founder and Chief Opportunity Officer of Opportunity Lab, a strategy consulting firm focused on company growth through conscious business. Opportunity Lab applies models of growth to companies navigating through disruptive change and finds opportunity for sustained growth even in the most difficult situations. Mark is also the author of Culture of Opportunity: How to Grow Your Business in an Age of Disruption, a fascinating book on this very topic.
In today’s episode, Mark explains how to create a culture of opportunity and what that could mean for your organization. He helps us understand the Success DNA, how to bring it into your organization, and most importantly, how to sustain it. You can become an expert in opportunity as well.
What We Talked About in This Episode:
- Mark’s Background and Current Role as Chief Opportunity Officer
- The Culture of Opportunity
- Identifying Success DNA
- Studying Success Over Failure
- Noticing the Pattern of Success
- Past Successes to Help Plan for the Future
- Becoming an Expert in Opportunity
- Balancing the Needs of Each Team Member with the Needs of the Team as a Whole
- The Challenges of Creating a Culture of Opportunity
- Non Dominant Hand Journaling
- Filtering Opportunities Through Specific Criteria to Determine Priority
- The Principles of Conscious Leaders
- Mark’s Daily Rituals and Book Recommendation
About Our Guest:
Mark Monchek is the Founder and Chief Opportunity Officer of Opportunity Lab, a strategy consulting firm focused on conscious growth. Mark has worked with leaders from Google, Apple, JPMorgan Chase, General Electric, Goldman Sachs, Adorama, TerraCycle, Feltsberg, The New York Times, Wharton School of Business, New York University, Columbia University, NBC, Time Warner, and the United Nations. He’s the author of the Amazon nonfiction bestseller Culture of Opportunity: How to Grow Your Business in an Age of Disruption. He’s been featured in Real Leaders, The Better Business Book, the Organization Development Review Journal, Lifetime Network, WPLJ, WCBS, Newsday, Working Women Magazine, and the San Francisco Chronicle.
Connect with Mark Monchek:
Links and Resources:
- Opportunity Lab Website
- Mark Monchek on LinkedIn
- Culture of Opportunity: How to Grow Your Business in an Age of Disruption by Mark Monchek
Connect with John Murphy:
If you liked this episode, please don’t forget to subscribe, tune in, and share this podcast. Thanks for tuning in!
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
Winning Teams Podcast