Most people like to think of themselves as doing good things in the world, but when we look at the concept of decency in our world’s cultures, we are lacking. So how can we do better as individuals to help create a better world? And how does this begin with businesses? Jeff Garson joins us today to break it down.
Jeff Garson is the author of the very interesting and highly recommended book Radical Decency. In his career journey, he started out as a lawyer and ended up taking a drastic shift to become a psychotherapist. In today’s episode, Jeff shares his concept of decency and how starting in the business world can make a huge impact as business and sales make the world go round. This all sounds very overwhelming and maybe even a bit abstract, but Jeff offers some very practical and real things we need to look at as both individuals and business leaders.
What We Talked About in This Episode:
- Jeff’s Background and Inspiration to Write Radical Decency
- Overemphasized Values and the Need to Shift
- The Decency Foundation
- Business as the Strategic Point of Entry
- The Problem of Winning Being the Only Thing
- The Compatibility of Decency and Profitability
- Where to Start Within a Business to Apply Decency
- Jeff’s Observations as a Psychotherapist
- What Happens When You’re in Fight or Flight Mode
- Listening is More Complicated Than Speaking
- Jeff’s Pep Talk to Keep Unlocking Decency
- Trusting the Process
- Decency to Yourself, Others, and the World
- Jeff’s Book Recommendation and Daily Rituals
About Our Guest:
Jeff was an attorney for 25 years representing banks, investors, and businesses of all sizes. Since leaving the law in 2000, he has been a psychotherapist supporting countless clients as they’ve struggled to find their way in a world that relentlessly pushes them to compete and win – and remorselessly judge themselves when they fall short. He is also the co-founder of the Decency Foundation; an organization dedicated to bringing Radical Decency to business. Drawing on this lifetime of work, study, and exploration, Jeff is uniquely able to speak with authority about the overriding issue of our time: How to create a better life and world when, year by year, the culture’s fiercely competitive, me-first values seem to reach, ever more deeply, into our lives.
Connect with Jeff Garson:
Links and Resources:
- Jeff Garson’s Website
- Radical Decency: A Values-Based Approach to a Better Life and World by Jeff Garson
- Jeff Garson on LinkedIn
- Garson Counseling Group Website
Connect with John Murphy:
If you liked this episode, please don’t forget to subscribe, tune in, and share this podcast. Thanks for tuning in!