Firstly, let me get this out of the way – I am not a US citizen, and am neither a card carrying Republican or Democrat! The reason I want to make that clear is that I am not writing this from a political perspective – I am simply sharing my thoughts about leadership and how I see Donald Trump stacking up.
After all, even though I do not live in the USA, I do care deeply who will next hold office in the White House – if for no other reason than whoever it is will have their finger close to “that button”. Now that really matters to me!!
I was prompted to reflect upon how I perceive Donald Trump’s leadership style after watching him on the recent Republican debate.
His amazing lead in the polls, at least at this stage, caused me to think about what sort of President he would make, from a leadership perspective.
Here is how I see him rate against key leadership attributes:
- Successful track record: Undoubtedly, Trump has an amazing track record in business. Yes, he has had his bumps along the way, but that is simply the world of the entrepreneur. So, here I would score Donald well.
- Persistency: No doubt he would need to have this in abundance to have achieved his business success, so, again, he does well here.
- Purposeful: Again, it is clear from his business and from his recent campaign that he lacks little in the area of being purposeful.
So, for those leadership skills, I think our Donald comes out well.
However, on others I have serious doubts:
- Integrity: Anyone who disdains others who fought for their countries and suffered greatly, as John McCain, and then ridicules them for being a prisoner of war, is not someone who demonstrates integrity. Any man who talks about women in the manner he did about Megan Kelly and Rosie O’Donnell, cannot claim to be a man of integrity.
- Visionary: If being a visionary is someone who paints a picture of a future where the world will be a better place, then I am afraid I have seen little evidence of that from Trump. Building a wall across the USA to stop the Mexicans gaining access is hardly being visionary. Does he not know that the Mexicans know how to build tunnels too?
- Service: A true leader serves his people, and all I have seen so far is a bully who treats those who disagree with him with disdain and disrespect. He has even insulted fellow Republicans.
- Inspirational: Leaders must inspire us that their vision will lead us to a better place. I have heard no vision whatsoever. I have not seen any manifesto of how the USA will be a better place with him at the helm. The most I hear him talking about is cutting immigration, which is, let’s be honest an easy topic to rally others around. It lacks credibility coming from a man whose ancestors hailed from Scotland and Germany!
So, what does all of this tell me? Well, undoubted admiration for Trump’s skill as a business builder, but political leadership, and indeed true business leadership, requires other skills that I do not think he possesses.
I would love to have a vote in the forthcoming election in the USA as the thought of this man sitting in the Oval Office, with all the power that comes with it, is a thought that sends shivers down my spine.
I am afraid, Mr. Trump is not my idea of a leader!
Free Strategy Call for High Performing Leaders
Becoming a high performance leader is critical to your success. Successful leaders have teams that over-deliver on their objectives and become stars in their organisation. High performing leaders build careers that take them to the top! Due to time constraints, I only offer 2 free 45 minute sessions each week. These sessions will give you tips and strategies you can put into action straight away to become that high performing leader.
Go to /call to schedule that session.